Do you have a passion for local history? Do you have writing experience?
LondonFuse is hiring 1-2 contract writers for an exciting new series — London Neighbourhood Histories!
Primary duties will include:
- Solidifying article topics with Editorial Committee
- Thoroughly researching chosen topics in the timeframe provided
- Interviewing individuals/groups as needed
- Writing assigned articles within word-count expectations
- Working with Editorial Committee to edit and ready for publication
- Sourcing archival and contemporary photographs and images for corresponding images
- Previous experience in written storytelling/publishing for the internet
- Strong research skills
- Intermediate experience in writing
- A passion for local history and immense interest in storytelling
- Working efficiently individually and on a team
- Able to manage time and deadlines independently
We are an equal opportunity organization, and we encourage candidates of all shapes, sizes, abilities, colours, creeds, and orientations to apply.
This position is for an independent, freelance contractor. The individual will not be an employee of LondonFuse.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and two (2) recent examples of your written work, to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 1, 2020.
About the Project
“London Neighbourhood Histories” series will highlight and chronicle the rich, layered heritage of many of London’s neighbourhoods, the diverse individuals who have lived within them, and the events that have impacted their development. Through this project, we will feature London’s place-based heritage, offering an in-depth and educational view of the Forest City’s distinct communities. As a community-driven non-profit dedicated to uplifting marginalized voices, this series will pay special attention to the stories of those often overlooked in traditional historical accounts, including LGBTQ+, people of colour, women, First Nations, and refugees and immigrants, wherever possible.
The project will consist of a series of articles highlighting predetermined neighbourhoods in the city. Articles will be 800-1800 words in length and include archival images where available as well as contemporary photography to illustrate the history and development of the respective neighbourhoods. Important events and individuals will be included up to the present when significant.
LondonFuse is a not-for-profit volunteer-run organization that promotes art, lifestyle and culture in London, Ontario and beyond. We are a treasure map for London, with a focus on documenting and spreading the word about London’s unique culture and arts scene. Our contributor program offers media training and mentorship in a fun and accepting environment.