Looking to get involved in London, ON’s arts and culture sector while developing key skills? Join LondonFuse’s Editorial Committee!
Who You Are
- You enjoy storytelling and learning new things about your community
- You have a solid understanding of grammar (or want to improve your understanding)
- You have a solid understanding of writing in a bold, concise style for the internet (or want to improve your understanding)
- You have an understanding or appreciation of the power of language and the role it can play in an inequitable society
- You are interested in meeting and working with a team of like-minded people who are passionate about community-building
- You make anti-racism and decolonization work in our community a priority
- You are comfortable working with WordPress and Google Docs or are willing to learn
Who We Are
LondonFuse New Media Collective (LondonFuse) is a registered not-for-profit organization that serves as a treasure map for London, with a focus on documenting and spreading the word about London’s unique culture and arts scene.
We are 100% volunteer-run and are made up of a Board of Directors and a committee of volunteer contributors. Our organizational vision is for a connected, collaborative, and creative community in London, ON where young creatives can gain experience, build confidence, and share the stories that are important to them. All of our projects and events are truly community endeavours, which makes what we do so exciting and rewarding.
What LondonFuse Does
LondonFuse produces written and visual content that has three main mediums intended to promote community engagement:
- LondonFuse.ca is our online publication.
- Our Contributor Program fuels our online publication and provides an outlet and experience for community members.
- LondonFuse Directory highlights the must-see places to eat, shop, or visit in London.
We’re currently seeking community-minded volunteers to join our Editorial Committee.
Alongside LondonFuse’s Editorial Director, members of the editorial committee will work with contributors to develop stories, provide feedback and advice, and provide copy editing assistance. The editorial committee will also work together to evolve the LondonFuse Style Guide through a process of co-creation. The committee will be a highly collaborative team with an aim to help everyone become stronger editors through shared knowledge and insight.
The Editorial Committee will meet monthly (except for August and December) immediately following the monthly LondonFuse Contributor Committee meetings. Due to COVID-19, the meetings will be held virtually but may be held in person at Innovation Works in Downtown London in the future. Committee members will be expected to commit to an estimated 3-6 hours a month (monthly 1-hour meeting and 2-4 hours independently editing and working with contributors) for a one-year term.
- Gain experience and skills in editing, story development, coaching, organization, collaboration, and more
- Access opportunities to further develop professional and interpersonal skills and achieve personal growth
- Meet a team of volunteers who are passionate about their city and pretty fun, if we do say so ourselves
- Learn more about the Forest City and contribute to its vibrant arts and culture scene
- Build your local network of young professionals and creatives
Expression of Interest
We’d love for you to express your interest in any way that feels most natural to you. Your expression of interest could include:
- Your current (if any) involvement with LondonFuse or other community organizations
- Your interests and passion in the work being done (or that can be done) in London’s arts and culture community
- Your relevant skills and expertise
- Any prior experience that is relevant to the role
- Any unique perspectives, viewpoints, or experiences that you may have
- Anything else that will help us get to know you better
We’ve created a Google Form to submit your application of interest. Please apply at the link below:
Accommodations will be made for those candidates who would like additional accessible methods.
LondonFuse maintains a welcoming environment for all members of the London community and is committed to upholding the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We actively encourage applications from members of groups experiencing barriers to equity and are welcoming of all regardless of race, gender, age, colour, national origin, ethnic background, socioeconomic status, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Feature Photo by Laura Thorne.